Friday, January 8, 2010

Looking for focus for the New Year

As of today, one year since I began this weight loss journey, I have accomplished a 68lb weight loss! Yesterday, I did a little shopping and bought my first Ann Taylor Loft top! I was excited about this. I tend to list all the reasons why this is not a great success like, it is a sweater and has extra stretch, it was at an outlet store and probably wasn't accurately sized, etc. But I really was smiling on the inside and the outside. The reality of my efforts are becoming greater then my sometimes negative self perception. As the title states, the new year has me refocusing in this losing journey. I find, as I evaluate, I have gained much through losing. I have gained strength. Certainly physical strength through working out and losing weight but as significant is mental and emotional strength through discipline and focus. I have gained confidence. As I lose weight I feel better about how I look and feel and have a greater sense of "I CAN". I have gained perspective. This is actually still a work in progress as I still will have setbacks of "perfectionism" and "comparing my self with others" but overall I have come to a place of knowing this is a journey and not a race. As long as I keep my eye on the goal, the pace I take is insignificant. My focus for this year is joy in the journey. I haven't allowed myself to feel much joy for fear I will become too comfortable where I am. (Been there, done that) So with new strength, confidence and perspective I will go forth in JOY and that may be the greatest gain of all!

No comments:

Post a Comment